Complete Laboratory Solutions offers qualitative screening using the OraSure® Oral Specimen Collection device for bloodborne viruses and also for Cotinine testing.
In 2006, Complete Laboratory Solutions (CLS), an innovative and technology driven laboratory, developed a non-invasive bloodborne virus screening and Cotinine testing method.
In response to this market demand the Health Screening department was formed. Aided with our technical capabilities and expertise this department was developed within CLS and is the only Irish owned laboratory offering HIV, Hep B, Hep C screening and Cotinine testing on oral fluid samples.
The Orasure Collection Device kits with prepaid tamper proof self addressed envelopes are provided by CLS, giving greater accessibility and choice to our clients on a national level. CLS currently provide all of Bank of Ireland Life and New Ireland’s bloodborne virus screening and Cotinine testing requirements.
- Blood can be a difficult sample to take especially from persons with an aversion to the process or those with poor veins.
- Staff may be put at risk of transmission via inadvertent needle stick injury.
- Collection is very fast (2 minutes).
- Collection can be taken by any person trained in OMT sample collection.
- Samples are posted back safely and easily in pre-paid envelopes.
- Analysis is carried out using the latest technology by trained technicians in an Irish laboratory.
- Research has proven that this is a reliable and accurate alternative to taking a blood sample for medical screening purposes.
Transportation of Specimens
All specimens transported by road must comply with the ADR transport regulations. All OMT specimens delivered to Complete Laboratory Solutions are packaged as per ADR P650
Bloodborne Viruses Smoking
Complete Laboratory Solutions offers qualitative Orasure® bloodborne virus screening for:
- HIV antibody
- Hepatitis C antibody
- Hepatitis B (both surface antigen and core antibody)
- Qualitative testing for the presence of Cotinine is a standard test to determine if a person is a tobacco user.
- Complete Laboratory Solutions can carry out both Blood Borne virus screening and Cotinine testing on one Oral Fluid sample.
Dealing with Reactive Samples
When an OraSure® OMT sample is reported reactive, clinical protocols recommend a second test is undertaken via a blood sample to confirm identity of the donor and to confirm the result. This blood sample can be used to provide further testing for example, to see if chronic infection is present, the genotype, (suitability for treatment) and the viral load.