IPPC - Integrated Pollution Prevention & Control
The Environmental Protection Agency under the 2003 Environment Act has governed the licensing of large-scale industrial and agricultural activities. Detailed procedures concerning the IPPC licensing process are set out in the Environmental Protection Acts 1992 to 2007 and associated licensing regulations.
Through the IPPC Licence Directive the EPA aims to prevent or reduce emissions to air, water and land, reduce waste and use energy/resources efficiently. An IPPC licence is a single integrated licence which covers all emissions from the facility and its environmental management. All related operations that the licence holder carries in connection with the activity are controlled by this licence.
Who needs an IPPC Licence?
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is the competent authority for granting and enforcing Integrated Pollution Prevention Control (IPPC) licences for specified industrial and agriculture activities listed in the first schedule to the Environmental Protection Agency Acts, 1992 to 2007.
In summary the categories of industry coming within the scope of IPPC licensing are:
- Intensive Agriculture (pigs & poultry)
- Food and Drink
- Wood, Paper, Textiles and Leather
- Fossil Fuels
- Mineral Fibres and Glass
- Minerals and Other Materials
- Waste (Disposal or Recovery in a facility connected or associated with an IPPC activity)
- Surface Coatings
- Other Activities (includes testing of engines, manufacture of printed circuit boards, production of lime in a kiln and manufacture of ceramic products)
CLS offers the following:
Independent Environmental Monitoring including sampling and analysis of:
- Ground water and surface water emissions
- Waste water emissions
- Dust deposition (Standard method VDI2119)
- Noise assessments ( ISO 1996 – Acoustics)
- Flow & load measurements
- Composite sampling
- Water levels
- Analytical services based on international standards methods in our ISO 17025 accredited laboratory
- Customised reporting
- Interactive website for convenient access to results online